Big Brother 9 aired on the CBS television network on February 12, 2008 to April 27, 2008.
Season 9 was the first season to ever air during the winter months which was due to the lack of programming options because of the 2007-08 Writer’s Guild of America strike. In addition to that this was also the very first season to be promoted without the year or season number. The CBS producers also cast 16 house guests to enter the big brother house which is more than the usual 13-14. This was the first increase in the number of house guests since Season 5.
[table id=12 /]
During the season two previously evicted house guests were also brought back into the game. Due to Neil voluntarily leaving the Big Brother house because of an urgent personal matter, Sharon was brought back into the game to replace him. Also on day 35, James was also given the opportunity to return to the big brother house by a vote from the other house guests. Big Brother After Dark also returned for this season airing 7 nights a week on Showtime 2. This season’s twist had the entire house guests paired with their soul mate. As soul mates the pairs of house guests won and shared the responsibility of the Head of Household (HOH), Power Of Veto (POV), in addition to being evicted in pairs. A secondary twist of the season had the house guests vote on which of the house guests to be evicted during weeks 1-4 to return to the big brother house.
The Big Brother 9 house had a theme of the outdoors with the dining room and kitchen walls covered with logs in addition to bright yellow and red coloured furniture. The head of household room was that of an exotic oasis with the head board of the bed made from a surf board, Hula girl lamps, Polynesian carvings and a rattan carpet. In one of the other bedrooms in the house the shelving, chests and beds were made to look like rowboats. In another bedroom the beds were made of tree branches and pink bead spreads. Also new for season 9 was the “spa room” complete with a message table and a 2 person sauna.
In the first 3 weeks of Big Brother 9 the house guests competed as pairs, where each pair voted and made decisions together, in addition to also being evicted together. If the HOH pair was not able to agree on who they should nominate, then they would be nominated and the HOH runner up pair would become the new HOH. In the event that the power of veto winning pair was unable to decide to use the POV or not, then it would not be used. Also if a pair was unable to decide who to evict then that couple would be evicted instead. During week 1 the big brother 9 house guests competed in pairs in the “Falling for You” competition, where Parker and Jen won $10,000. In the power of veto competition called “Colour of Veto” Ryan also won $10,000 and Adam won a motorcycle. On day 43 the house guests were treated to a luxury competition where Sharon, Chelsia, Sheila, and Joshua won a screening of the film “21”. On day 44, Evel Dick Donato from big brother 8 returned to the big brother house to host the power of veto competition called “Club Evel”. In this competition if one of the house guests scored more than Dicks score of 33 from his season that house guest would win a Gibson Les Paul guitar and amplifier. None of the house guests beat Dick’s score so Evel Dick won the guitar and amp. A day later, on day 45, Chelsia also won a VIP Las Vegas $21,000 trip from a popcorn bucket that had a golden ticket in it. On day 71 the house guests were treated to their second luxury competition where Sharon & Ryan won a VIP advanced screening of the film “What Happens in Vegas”, opportunity to meet the cast and a shopping spree in Hollywood.
Big Brother 9 Controversy:
- Big Brother 9 was not without controversy or criticism as there were a number of incidents that caused the viewing public to take offense to certain things some house guests said or did in the house. In the second episode that aired Adam Jasinski told the other house guests that he worked for the a Autism Foundation and if he won he would spend part of his winnings on a hair salon so that “retards can get it together and get their hair done.” Other house guests in particular Sheila took offense to his remark and Adam responded by saying “I can call them whatever I want because I work with them all day.” The executive director of Autism United sent a letter to CBS demanding action be taken and that CBS had aired the comment for their own gain. In addition to the letter, the organization also contacted advertisers on the show and demanded that the show be cancelled. Due to the remarks, Lowe’s chose not to advertise during any other future time slots for the big brother episodes. As a result of the comments, the website for United Autism Foundation issued an apology for Adam’s remarks and stated that his employment was terminated. After the conclusion of big brother 9, Adam made a statement that he would be donating $100,000 to the Autism Foundation. In October of 2009, Adam Jasinski was arrested for possession of 2000 oxycodone pills with the intent to distribute. Adam later admitted that he used his Big Brother 9 winnings to fund his illegal drug ring venture. The charges against Adam had him facing 20 years in prison and a $1 million fine. Following the events, house guests Sheila reported that she felt betrayed by Adam as she had voted for him to win due to his promise to donate $100,000 to the foundation. Allison also stated that she hoped he would get the maximum jail time because he is a terrible person.
- Adam was not the only controversial house guest, as Matt called another house guest the N-word which aired on the Big Brother Live Feeds and Big Brother After Dark.
- The HOH competition also caused public outcry when the house guests were asked fact or fiction questions about how many pre-existing relationships there were in the house. The correct answer to the question was 3 (Ryan & Jen, Sharon & Jacob, and the two guinea pigs). Many fans thought this question was unfair as it resulted in Sharon incorrectly answering the question and leading to her eviction.
3 Part HOH Competition:
- HOH Part 1 Adam, Ryan & Sheila competed: Ryan won.
- HOH Part 2 Adam & Sheila competed: Adam won.
- HOH Part 3 Adam & Ryan competed: Ryan won.
- Adam then won Big Brother 9 by a vote of 6-1, winning the grand prize of $500,000.
- Ryan won the runner up prize of $50,000.
- James was chosen by America as America’s Favourite Player, and was awarded the $25,000 prize.