Big Brother Season 11 began on July 9, 2009 and aired on CBS and Showtime 2 for 73 days, with the finale concluding on September 15, 2009.
Thirteen house guests entered the big brother house; however, 1 of the 13 house guests (Chima Simone) was expelled from the house by the producers for breaking the rules. As a result of Chima being expelled from the house, America (America’s Vote) became the seventh Jury member and was polled to vote for the winner. Due to the increased popularity of Big Brother 11 the producers at CBS elected to extend the finale from 1 hour to a 2 hour show. This season in particular attracted attention from controversial accusations of racism, homophobia, in addition to the editing style of the TV episodes.
[table id=14 /]
- Upon entering the Big Brother house the 12 house guests were divided into 4 separate groups that resembled different high school cliques. The 4 cliques were the Populars, Brains, Athletes, and Off-Beats. Although the house guests competed in competitions individually, when one member of a clique won HOH the other members were exempt from eviction.
- During the first HOH competition, 4 former big brother house guests returned to the house to each help one of the cliques. From Big Brother 5, Michael “Cowboy” Elis assisted the Off-Beats. Jessica Hughbanks from Big Brother 8 assisted the Popular clique. Brian Hart from Big Brother 10 assisted the Brains clique. Jessie Godderz also from Big Brother 10 assisted the Athlete clique. For this first HOH competition, none of the 12 house guests were eligible to win, instead the former house guest that assisted the clique would become the HOH and earn the right to stay in the house. The Athletes won the competition and Jessie became the first HOH winner and returned to the Big Brother house to compete for the grand prize.
- In the few weeks the house guests were given a Luxury Competition that was hosted by Big Brother 10 winner Dan Gheesling. Chima won the competition for the women and Casey won the competition for the males. The prize for winning was a screening of the film “The Ugly Truth”, in addition to winning they had to choose Have-Nots for the week and they picked Laura & Jordan from the Popular clique.
- On day 26, the houseguests were informed that the cliques were split up where each house guest was now on their own. The house guests were also told that America would be voting to decide which of the house guests would receive a “mystery power”. During the TV episode America was informed that the power would be the Big Brother Coup D’etat which was originally introduced in Big Brother 7 All-Stars.
- During the fourth HOH competition, Russell won and the first 5 house guests that dropped off the rope had the chance to win prizes. Kevin dropped first and won $5,000, Lydia was next and won a plasma TV, Ronnie and Natalie dropped third and fourth and won nothing.
- Jeff was chosen by America and was awarded the “mystery power”, the Coup d’Etat which allowed him to use it to over throw the HOH during the upcoming eviction or the following one.
- On day 32, the producers played voice messages from the viewers throughout the big brother house. On the following day the house guests competed in the HOH competition where they were asked true & false questions about the messages. Chima won the competition by correctly answering the questions.
- Celebrity guest Jeremy Piven entered the Big Brother house to host the luxury competition for a chance to win an advanced screening of the film “The Goods”. During the competition Russell won $10,000, in addition to winning the screening with Jordan, Jessie and Natalie.
- With Lydia and Russell up on the block for eviction, Jeff used his ”mystery power” the Coup d’Etat to over throw Chima’s nominations. As a result Jessie & Natalie were nominated for eviction and Jessie was evicted by a vote of 3-2.
- Throughout the beginning of the season Chima broke several of the rules including: ignoring calls to the diary room numerous times, refusing to wear the microphone, threating producers that she would act up during the live episode (day35), throwing her mic in the hot tub and obstructing the camera. As a result, Chima was expelled from the big brother house on day 42.
- On day 55, Kevin won the HOH competition and was offered Pandora’s Box, which he opened and released a bad and good consequence on the house or house guests. Before opening the door Kevin was shown on the HOH tv a large box with a message “to release $10,000 put your hand in the hole.” Kevin then opened the door and put his hand in the hole, subsequently his hand was locked in the hole and $10,000 was dropped from the sky in the backyard for the other house guests. The house guests had to also find a key in order to release Kevin’s hand from the hole. Jeff was the house guest that found the key and released Kevin, in addition to collecting $3,181 of the $10,000. Michele collected $2,563, Natalie picked up $1,904, Jordan picked up $1,726 and Kevin managed to collect the remaining $626.
- Natalie won the following HOH competition and the house guests were awarded a 3 and a half minute shopping spree within the house. The house guests were allowed to keep all the clothing that they were wearing by the end of the time limit. Natalie was then offered Pandora’s Box, which she opened. Natalie was offered a chance to see her boyfriend by forfeiting the right to play in the final POV competition. Natalie accepted and got to see her boyfriend where he proposed to her and she said yes. Pandora Box then let Natalie spend another 15 minutes with her new fiancé, which also unleashed unwelcome visitors into the house to irritate the rest of the house guests.
3 Part HOH Competition:
- HOH Part 1 Jordan, Kevin & Natalie competed: Kevin won.
- HOH Part 2 Jordan & Natalie competed: Jordan won.
- HOH Part 3 Jordan & Kevin competed: Jordan won.
- Jordan then won Big Brother 11 by a vote of 5-2, winning the grand prize of $500,000.
- Natalie won the runner up prize of $50,000.
- Jeff was chosen by America as America’s Favourite Player, and was awarded the $25,000 prize.